Moving to a new place may not be that easy! There are various hurdles, including the language barriers to maintain relationships. When a visa holder enters Australia he might go through lots of emotions in different situations. Culture shock is a phenomenon that you can face whether you are planning to live in Australia or just want to visit for a short period of time. So, we have listed ten ways that can be helpful in managing the culture shock in Australia.
Here Are The Ways That Can Help In Overcome The Culture Shock
- Whatever You Are Loving, Make A Record
It is very common that you feel homesick, but make sure that you remind yourself about the motive behind moving to a new country whether you are on an Investor visa or student visa. To maintain the positive attitude, keep personal records of what you loved in Australia in several forms:
- Write blog that can be shared with others.
- Enter it in a private diary or journal.
- A photo album is a great way of collecting good memories.
- Never Leave A Chance To Learn
Interact with the people who are living in Australia from a long time. Always ask questions and learn as much as you can if you are on a Working Holiday Visa Of Australia. From slang words to work culture, if you want to adapt yourself to the new environment, make sure that you keep the mind open.
- You can master yourself in baking lamingtons.
- Learn at least five new slang words per week.
- Visit the local cafes and restaurants.
- Watch Australian TV
- Participate in an exciting activity.
- New Friends Are Must
If you are arrived newly in Australia, make sure that you make a good effort in making friends. Go out to have lunch or coffee with the people in office or class. Consider joining a fitness class or photography club.
- Follow A Routine
Organize a schedule that can help you in keeping your week structured. It will also become easier for you to get some time for yourself that can be great way to minimize the emotions.
- Talk About Your Feeling
It is important that you share the feeling to someone whenever you are feeling homesick, lonely or anxious.
If you are studying, then visit the on-campus counselors. If you are working, then talk to close colleagues. If it is not working, then call back home! There are various services available in Australia where you can talk to complete strangers like MensLine Australia, Beyond Blue, and Headspace.
- Always Be Open To New Things
Be it food, activities or new places, always explore different experiences that can be fun filled and thrilling.
- Home Is Always A Support System
Whenever you are in stress, you can contact home. But one should always make the calls in a limit because too much contact can heighten the homesickness feeling.
- Try To Become A Local Of Your New Town Or City
Enjoy new places, try to adapt yourself quickly. Follow these tips to get used to the area:
- Public transport is a good way to travel
- Make a visit to lesser known sites.
- Go on walks.
- Take the advice from the locals to know where to go and what can be done on the weekend.
- Health Is Important
To maintain good energy levels and good mood, it becomes imperative to have good diet and exercise.
Join the community walking groups, it will not only energize you but also help you in socializing.
- Treat Yourself And Don’t Be Too Hard On Yourself
Give yourself some time to adjust too new place. You may make some mistakes in Australia due to cultural indifferences but it is fine. You may get lost in a new place or buy mistake step into a wrong bus which might lead to homesickness. Just relax yourself, give some time and everything will be okay!
To make the perfect alone time you may:
- Relax at home and watch a movie.
- Get a massage done.
- Attend any event or exhibition.
- Go on shopping and buy the thing you were thinking for a while.