Skilled-Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

It is a permanent resident work visa with which the people can work and live in Australia without restrictions. To be eligible for the subclass 189 for Australian work visa, the occupation should be listed on the Australia’s Skilled Occupations List.

What Are The Benefits Of The Skilled Independent Visa?

After getting the Skilled Independent visa the following benefits can be availed:

  • There will be no restriction on living and working in Australia.
  • Chance To Pursue Studies
  • Travel freely in and out of Australia
  • Get a chance to sponsor a family member for the permanent or temporary residency.

Eligibility For The Skilled- Independent Visa

  • Must have an invitation to apply: If you are invited then only you can apply for the Skilled- Independent visa. You have to submit the Expression of interest.
  • You must have the suitable skill assessment: Your occupation must be on the list of the skilled occupation.
    • Proof of assessment for the following occupations is:
      1. For medical practitioners:
        • General or full or unconditional registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency is required.
        • If you are practicing in your specialty then, conditional specialist registration is needed.
      2. For Legal Practitioners:
        • Proof of the admission to practice law in the relevant state or territory.
  • Age: The applicant must be below 45 years of age to apply for this visa.
  • Competent English must be there.
  • Score 65 points or more: To become eligible to apply for the Skilled Independent visa, you must score 65 or more points in the points test.
  • The entire health requirement should be met.
  • The applicant should be of good character.
  • You should not owe any Australian government money at the time of applying. You must have paid it back or make some formal arrangements to give it back.


Family members in your visa application include:

  • Your Partner
  • Dependent relative of you or your partner
  • Dependent child of you or your partner

You can include the family members on the visa application for the Skilled Independent Visa:

  • When you lodge the application for the visa
  • After the application is lodged but before the final decision on the visa.

In case there is no mention of the partner or the dependent children then you have to tell the reason.

Confused? Contact Tropical Immigration For Help!

Here at Tropical Immigration, there is a great expertise in managing the Skilled-Independent Visa and can help you in:

  • Obtaining the skill assessment
  • Relative sponsorship application can also be prepared.
  • Your visa application will be lodged and monitored.
  • Until your visa is granted, there will be correspondence with the skills assessing authorities and Dept. of Immigration.
  • Bridging visas for you and your family members will be managed!