From 17 April 2019, the New Sponsored Parent Visa commenced in Subclass 870. The announcement for this visa was done on 1 March 2019 by Minister Coleman.
The sponsored parent will get the benefit of applying for the new Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa application after the sponsorship application is approved for the subclass 870 visa. From 1 July 2019, the visa application will be opened.
Here Are The Key Points That You Must Know About The Know new Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa
- The balance of family test is not applicable to the subclass 870 visa.
- It is a temporary visa. Unlike Contributory Parent Visa, it does not lead to permanent residency.
- The duration of stay for the parents will be upto 5 years.
- Biological parents, step parent of citizen of Australia, permanent Australian resident and eligible New Zealand citizens can be the applicants.
- If the step parent is still married or in a de facto relationship with the biological parent of the Australian child sponsoring them, then only they can apply for this visa.
- Health insurance provided by Australia valid for the duration of stay must be there with the parents.
What Is The Eligibility Criteria For The Applicants?
The following requirements must be fulfilled by the applicants to get the new parent visa:
- The application of the Australian child sponsorship must be accepted.
- All the requirements related to health, character and identity must be met.
- No outstanding public health debt should be there in Australia.
Who Is Eligible As The Sponsor?
- The sponsor can be a biological, adoptive or step child of the parents.
- Valid identity proof must be present.
- Sponsor can be the citizen, permanent resident of Australia or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Age should be 18 years or more.
- All the household income requirements must be met.
- If there is any outstanding public health debt of the sponsored parents, then the sponsor must accept the liability.
Drawbacks Of New Sponsored Parent Visa
- The visa is restricted to just 15,000 places per year.
- Once all the places are filled for a specific year, no visa will be issued.
- Every year this will reset on 1 July.